Monday 29 December 2008

THE STORY SO FAR...

So after 4 days of traveling I have finally reached PNG. My parents are still in one piece, although it was touch and go a few times. Joe nearly had a wee accident when they told him he was going to have to pay over $200 for excess luggage weight.

We flew from Belfast to London and then had a 16 hour flight to Malaysia, stopping in Dubai. We had one hour in Malaysia before our flight to Brisbane. After spending the night in Australia it was the final leg of our Journey up through PNG. We arrived in Port Moresby at about mid day expecting to go straight to the hotel for the night to catch up on some sleep before our domestic flight to Hoskins (Islands region). A man named John met us in port Moresby and directed us straight to the ticket desk, Simon (my brother) had rang earlier to ask if there was any space on the flight that day, luckily there was so they bumped us forward to an earlier flight with no extra cost.

My brother along with his wife and baby girl Nya (she’s class) are full time missionaries with New Tribes Mission (NTM) in PNG. We arrived at Simon’s house late afternoon. We were so excited to see them and the place they have been living. They live on an NTM base, which I think is like a mini America. There is a school, clinic, shop, bank and even the odd swimming pool. It’s really beautiful. The houses are basic but comfortable, at the minute I’m living with Simon and Annika but in the next few days I’ll move into my own house with 2 other girls.

The School that I will be teaching in is on the base. The kids are on holiday at the moment but start back mid January. I’m still not completely sure what I will be doing but I have an orientation meeting soon so hopefully I will know more then.

Right now we’re just glad to be here and are excited about seeing around the place. I’ll be updating the blog quite regularly so keep an eye out.

Please send me some comments, even though I’m having fun here I still miss home and it would be lovely to hear from you all.

Love,

Emma x

3 comments:

Claire said...

hey...great to hear from you. the pictures look class...nya's so beautiful! you're not missing much at home. so jealous of the lovely weather you're getting. i'm praying that you settle in there quickly! lots of love, claire x

Amanda said...

Hi Emma luv the photos Nya is beautiful. Sounds alright place enjoy the weather and think of us at -3 and cold. Going 2 Alwyn's new house 2night. Had 2 take Maggie 2 vet wasn't well put her on antibotics. I'll keep watching ur updates and news. Praying and thinking of u that u will settle there. Miss u lots of luv Amanda

me said...

Hey hun, just saw your wee comment on facebook to check out you blog, so I'm here! lol

Glad to hear you made it there in one piece and that alls going good. At least your away from our cold weather here!

I'll pe praying for you!

Loads of love, Mags xx