Sunday 18 January 2009

DAMI

Yesterday i went to Dami beach with lots of people from the base and my new housemate Martina. Martina has just arrived from Holland and we are living in a new house together just up the road from Simon and Annika. I still go and see them lots and help them eat their food.
 
Martina has just graduated from doing a child psychology degree and is going to be working with the special needs children here at the school. I'm so glad she's here, i was beginning to feel a little bit lost with no one my age around. 

It still doesn't really feel like I'm in PNG even though I have been here almost a month. I think it's because I'm still inside this mini america most of the time. It's different from Mozambique in that I'm not constantly with nationals. I see them and have conversations with them everyday but I'm not totally forced to live in their culture if I don't want to. It's a different kind of relationship building you have to do here, It's weird but I'm getting used to it. Although, sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to if I'm not in the middle of the jungle somewhere eating out of a banana leaf. Hopefully I'll get to make some more national friends soon.

Love,

Emma x

Ps: This is me and Martina at Dami beach.


No comments: